"Your security is in your own hands. And every state that doesn't play with our security has automatically guaranteed its own security." - Osama bin Laden
I found it very curious that OBL would release a tape just prior to the US presidential election in 2004, and found it even more surprising at the content of the tape. Suddenly, he wasn't interested in slaughtering the American infidels. All of a sudden, he was interested in our security and 911 was a thing of the past. He wasn't trying to kill Americans any longer, he was trying to bleed America to bankruptcy. If we would just leave him alone, he'd leave us alone. If we'd elect the much more tractable John Kerry instead of the much more problematic George Bush, there was a chance of peace between Islam and America.
Suddenly, OBL was talking peace and security at a cost that he'd normally have to expend the resources to create hundreds of 911's for. He's learned that the American people won't be cowed. We've got many people still alive who remember America being stabbed in the back by the sneak attacks at Pearl Harbor. American's truly realize at a fundamental level that the world is full of deceptive people who can sucker-punch her in a heartbeat. They won't be fooled and they won't bow to the demands of these murdering monsters. We've learned through long, harsh lessons that when you give in to this kind of evil, it simply encourages it and spawns more and greater evils in the future. This is a lesson that Spain and the rest of Europe have yet to learn.
America learned on 911 that the price of failure in confronting these monsters is too awful to contemplate. Let's face an uncomfortable fact here that you really don't see bandied about very often. Al Queda's mission on 911 wasn't to kill 3000 American's. Their mission was to slaughter 50,000 American's and the only thing that prevented the accomplishment of that mission was the Grace of God and American technology. It had long been foreseen that an airliner could hit the towers and they were safe from such an impact. If they'd stayed standing even an hour longer, then most of those three thousand people would still be with us.
In 2003, Al Queda offered Europe a truce so that they could deal with America. I think that in 2004, they saw that America was a 'hard target' and the Osama tapes intent was directly opposite: Osama was offering America a truce so that they can deal with Europe. He must realize that Europe is a MUCH softer target. With gun control being what it is, a far larger pool of prospective recruits, state borders far less integrated than US states and many other reasons must lead him to the conclusion that he'd have a far easier time subverting European democracies than American democracy and the Spanish people's capitulation must have hammered that belief through. Europe in many ways is a plum ripe for the picking.
Islam hates Europe in ways that it hasn't learned to hate America. It wants Al Andalusia back and it's going to get it, whatever the cost.
I'm not sure what it is that blinds Europe to the danger in their midst, but surely it's more than a matter of politically correct multi-culturalism. France sees the problem, but doesn't recognize it for some reason. In late 2004, Nicholas Sarkozy, in reply to a question about Islamic assimilation said:
"It is too late to speak of integrating Islam. Whether I like it or not, Islam is France's second religion. Therefore, we have to integrate it by making it a French Islam."
They see the problem, but they just don't recognize it. They're in denial.
I've read as recently as today on a blog that Europeans think that American's are overestimating the problem. We're seeing problems that don't exist. On the other hand, there's this quote:
Sarkozy never mentioned a French Secret Service report that was published five months ago in Le Monde, which states that there are about three hundred Islamic enclaves in France, where French laws and standards play next to no role
Three hundred cites as the French call them where French law and French culture are suspended. That's only France though. I doubt the situation is better in most of the other major cities in Europe.
Let me try and put this into perspective. I'll concentrate on France since the problem seems to be most acute there but to one degree or another, it's no different for most other major European countries.
1) Since many of the immigrants are illegals, nobody really knows how bad the problem is. Estimates for all of Europe run from 12 to 20 million people. For France alone, I've seen estimates of anywhere from 2 to 8 million. That's a big problem all by itself.
2) The birthrate for native European women is 1.4 children on average. Replacement rate is 2.1 to replace both parents and grow a bit. Islamic replacement rate in Algeria and Morocco where most of the French immigrants come from is 4.2 per woman. I'm sorry. It doesn't take, as they say, a rocket scientist, to crunch these numbers. Even if all immigration, legal and illegal, were stopped in its tracks today, by 2,100, Europe as a culture won't exist. By 2050, upwards of 50% of French children will be Muslim.
3) The three hundred Islamic enclaves mentioned above, are the suburbs of major French cities. In America, cities rot from the center, in France, they rot from the suburbs. These 'burbs are packed to the rafters with MILLIONS of young, alienated Muslims who HATE France and everything she stands for. They boo the national anthem. They attack police with Molotov cocktails. They attack ambulance crews. Even Chirac, I understand, had to flee when molotov's were thrown at him when he went to these places to pander for votes.
4) These young people have all kinds of free time on their hands, since they are not able to get jobs under the French system. France's own economic problems don't really allow new jobs to be created and for these young Muslims, many black Africans, chances of landing a job are almost 0%. In these ghettos, unemployment is around 50%.
5) Just because these young people don't have jobs, doesn't mean that they're poor. They've figured out long since that they can make more in one day through crime than they can earn in a month through a boring, chained to the desk legitimate job. Also, it's not really hazardous since the French police fear to enter these projects. They're far from hungry, many own satellite dishes (to watch signals from North Africa), jewelry, nice auto's, most anything they want.
6) Having plenty of time, money and Muslim contacts, they also have access to the best weaponry available. You don't see the poor oppressed "Palestinians" with a lack of small arms or explosives and you won't see that here either. But we're not talking about an AK-47 and a couple of clips of ammo. There are reports of these people knocking off banks with bazooka's and RPG's.
7) France alone has over a THOUSAND mosques, all compliments of Saudi Arabia. Of it's 250 most prominent imams, not one is French. At French request, Saudi Arabia and other Arab/Muslim countries are MORE than happy to send in guest speakers and imams to prostletyze to the faithful. Due to French multicultural politically correct sensitivities, mosques are pretty much off limits.
8) The same story is reported in France, in Spain, in Sweden, in Norway, in Holland, in Belgium and Germany. Such as:
Swedens third-largest city, Malmø, according to the Swedish Aftonbladet, has become an outpost of the Middle East in Scandinavia: The police now publicly admit what many Scandinavians have known for a long time: They no longer control the situation in the nationss third largest city. It is effectively ruled by violent gangs of Muslim immigrants. Some of the Muslims have lived in the area of Rosengård, Malmø, for twenty years, and still dont know how to read or write Swedish. Ambulance personnel are attacked by stones or weapons, and refuse to help anybody in the area without police escort. The immigrants also spit at them when they come to help. Recently, an Albanian youth was stabbed by an Arab, and was left bleeding to death on the ground while the ambulance waited for the police to arrive. The police themselves hesitate to enter parts of their own city unless they have several patrols, and need to have guards to watch their cars, otherwise they will be vandalized.
9) European governments and officials are doing their best to defuse the situation but no matter what they do, they're going to alienate someone. The French think the headscarf ban is a great thing but Muslims don't. They're trying to make a Muslim holiday in Germany, but that's simply going to appear to the native Europeans as betrayal and by Muslims as weakness.
So let's summarize.
You have millions of disaffected people who HATE Europe and European institutions. They are reproducing at a MUCH higher rate than the natives. They have access to weapons in unknown quantities that can be hidden in places that the European authorities can't access. Police are impotent to act. Citizens have on the whole been unarmed and are defenseless. 50% of men in French jails are Muslim which makes a great pool of potential recruits for fundamentalists.
I'll grant that I'm a yank and a long way from the center of the action, but if I even half of what I've read and listed above is true, Europe's moving at warp speed directly at a brick wall and there's not a thing she can do about it and the longer she waits, the more difficult things will become.
During the Second World War, it was easy to see who the invaders were and kick them out of the country. During this invasion however, when it's a matter of second and third generation citizens of Europe, it's going to be all but impossible to decide who should stay and who should go. THIS will be a quagmire. There will be no clear enemies and there's not telling what little thing will spark this into a conflagration that will quickly turn into a continental civil war.
One further word. During WWII and the Cold War, Europe had the US to fall back on to help it out of its problems. This time, I suspect that the US is going to sit it out and let Europe take care of this massive problem that they've created. There is VERY little enthusiasm to get into a protacted war on Europe's behalf this time. The rampant and obvious anti-Americanism apparent in virtually every country in Europe has alienated and angered a majority of Americans. Why should the US get involved in yet ANOTHER war 'over there'? So we can be called evil, and the biggest danger on the planet again 50 years down the road?
No thanks. Europe has been digging itself into this hole since 1960. This time, they can dig themselves out, or ask the UN for help.