Thursday, July 14, 2005

Mirror.co.uk - News - EXCLUSIVE: THEY TRIED TO MAKE ME A SUICIDE BOMBER

14 July 2005

EXCLUSIVE: THEY TRIED TO MAKE ME A SUICIDE BOMBER

Matt Roper

THREE years ago Muhammed Yusuf was approached by two strangers who tried to recruit him as a suicide bomber.

The 18-year-old has already informed anti-terrorist police about his encounter with the hardliners at a North London mosque. Here he tells MATT ROPER what happened:

THEIR words, spoken with calm and conviction, were powerful and persuasive. But as I realised they wanted me to become a martyr for the cause of Islam I felt sick to the stomach.

"You'll go instantly to heaven," they repeated. "All the problems and pain in your life will go away. You'll be rewarded for all eternity."


Advertisement

For two weeks two men had befriended and groomed me. I was just 14, naive yet idealistic, and I had no idea why they were so interested in me. But after days of observing me, the moment had arrived to finally come clean.


They wanted me to avenge the deaths of my Muslim brothers and sisters around the world.


And they cynically exploited a time of turmoil and confusion in my life to convince me to end it - not shamefully but gloriously - by blowing myself to bits in a terrorist attack.


I was prime recruitment material. I was young and malleable, I had never been in trouble with the police and I'd never had anything to do with extremist groups.


I attended a good Muslim school and came from a respected family from north London.


But my father, a pillar of the community and a regular at our mosque, had recently passed away suddenly and I was trying to come to terms with my grief.


After my father's death I had started attending the local mosque more regularly. I wanted to know my dad better and lead the same exemplary life he'd lived.


I started going to prayers five times a day, even getting up early to attend the 6am prayer meeting.


I also got involved in many other activities at the mosque, such as teaching groups and day trips.



More

No comments: